2023 CrossFit Games
10 synchro front squats (all 4 athletes)
3 handstand walks each (25 feet, alternating reps, MM/FF pairs)
Download the workout description and scorecard for your division:
Prior to starting, set up the floor plan as shown.
This test begins with all four athletes standing behind the line furthest from the barbells on the far side of the competition floor. After “3, 2, 1 … go,” all four athletes move to the barbells and complete 10 synchronized front squats. After completing the front squats, the athletes move to the handstand-walk start line. Working simultaneously in MM/FF pairs, complete 3 handstand walks each — one athlete completes a 25-foot section, kicks down, and then their partner completes the same 25-foot section. The pair continues trading off in this manner until each person has completed three 25-foot sections. Once all four athletes complete 3 handstand walks each, the team moves back to the barbells and continues this sequence until the 15-minute time cap is reached.
The team’s score will be the total number of reps completed before the 15-minute time cap. If the team is time-capped during the handstand walk, every handstand walk completed by each member of the team counts as 1 rep.
There is no tiebreak for this test.
- Two judges are required for Test 1:
- One to judge men while handstand walking.
- One to judge women while handstand walking.
- Tape to mark the floor.
- Barbell, plates, and collars.*
* The official weight is in pounds. For your convenience, the minimum acceptable weights in kilograms for the front squats are 56 kg (125 lb) and 83 kg (185 lb).
Be sure the team has adequate space to safely complete all the movements. Clear the area of all extra equipment, people, or other obstructions.
Any team who in any way alters the equipment or movements described in this document or shown in the test standards video may be disqualified from the competition. Unless otherwise stated, teams may not receive assistance with their equipment during the test.
Video Submission Standards
- Film ALL competition area measurements so the distances and weights can be seen clearly.
- Use the camera placement provided in the floor plan. The camera should capture a ¾ view of the athletes during all movements.
- A full view of the athletes must be maintained for the entire test.
- Avoid placing the camera low to the ground. We recommend placing the camera at least 3 feet off the ground.
- Videos must be uncut and unedited to accurately display the performance.
- A clock or timer must be visible throughout the test.
- Videos shot with a fisheye lens or similar lens may be rejected.
- Make sure lighting does not obstruct the view of the athlete, equipment, or workout area. Glare from the background or dark spaces makes it hard to review videos.
- Do NOT use a countdown timer.
- Ensure the judge does not obstruct the view of the athletes.
- Two judges are required for Test 1:
1 of 8Athletes must place collars on the outside of the plates. Each set of front squats begins with barbells on the ground. Starting the first repetition with a squat clean is NOT allowed. Athletes and their bars must always remain behind the designated line, 5 feet from the handstand-walk area. Touching the line is a no rep. Each repetition begins with all four athletes standing at extension with the barbell on the shoulders in the front-rack position. Any grip is permitted.2 of 8Each athlete’s hip crease must clearly pass below the top of the knees in the bottom position. Athletes do not need to reach the bottom position at the same time.3 of 8The rep is credited when: All four athletes’ hips and knees are fully extended. The bar is resting on the athletes’ shoulders in the front-rack position. Each individual athlete’s feet are in line when the athlete is viewed from profile. All four athletes must reach the top position together. If some athletes reach the top ahead of the others, they may stand tall with the bar on their shoulders and wait for the rest of their team.4 of 8In the event of a no rep for any athlete, the entire team must complete another full repetition.5 of 8Each length of the 25-foot (7.62-meter) measured distance will count as 1 rep.6 of 8You MUST handstand walk forward. When kicking up, the hands (including the fingers) must be placed on the ground BEHIND the line. Placing the hands or fingers on or over the line when kicking up constitutes a no rep.7 of 8Both hands, including palms and fingers, must touch the ground completely clear of the line marking the end of the length before the feet touch the ground. If at any time the athlete comes down from their hands before finishing the length, they must repeat the entire length. Athletes MUST alternate after each length. Athletes may not begin to handstand walk until their partner has finished their portion.8 of 8Pairs can choose which athlete begins the handstand walk in each round. The order does not need to be the same from round to round.