After the Open, the fittest men, women and teams will move on to the second phase of competition—regionals.
The worldwide online Open will cut the field from hundreds of thousands of competitors down to the elite few.
Twenty men, 20 women, and 15 teams will advance to regionals from American and Canadian regions. Those numbers grow to 30, 30, and 20 for Europe and Australia, and shrink to 10, 10, and 10 for Latin America, Asia and Africa.
Top competitors from two or three regions will meet at each regional competition and fight for the five qualifying spots to the CrossFit Games.
Over the course of three days, athletes will perform brutal events that test the range and depth of their capabilities. While the Open is for everyone, the regionals are not. Few people can perform the regional events as prescribed, and even fewer can complete them at close to the pace of the regional competitors. It's at this stage we've seen higher-skill movements introduced, as well as heavier loading and higher reps. See all past regional events.
The stakes are high. Few make it to the Games, and even fewer make it back. It all comes down to this weekend. Fans from around the world watch as their favorite rookies compete with Games veterans, workout for workout, second for second, pound for pound.
Some travel across borders to watch in person, while others stream the events from home. Those who want to watch regionals in person can buy tickets on March 30, 2015.
The eight regionals will be held across three weekends in May.
Weekend 1: May 15-17, 2015
- South Regional | South Central, South West and Latin America | Dallas Convention Center - Dallas, Texas
- Atlantic Regional | Mid Atlantic and South East | Georgia World Congress Center - Atlanta, Georgia
Weekend 2: May 22-24, 2015
- California Regional | NorCal and SoCal | Del Mar Arena - Del Mar, California
- East Regional | North East and Canada East | XL Center Arena - Hartford, Connecticut
- Pacific Regional | Australia and Asia | Win Sports & Entertainment Center - Wollongong, Australia
Weekend 3: May 29-31, 2015
- West Regional | North West and Canada West | Tacoma Dome - Tacoma, Washington
- Central Regional | North Central and Central East | Minneapolis Convention Center - Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Meridian Regional | Europe and Africa | Ballerup Super Arena - Copenhagen, Denmark